Spring greens with Indian flavours – it’s fresh, it’s tasty and it’s healthy!
This recipe suits any greens you have to hand – from shredded kale to Brussels sprouts. For the less adventurous, less chilli can be used.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- ½ tsp mustard seed
- 4 green chillies , finely chopped
- large piece fresh root ginger, grated
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 500g shredded greens, such as kale, Brussels sprouts, or any other
- 100g peas
- juice 1 lemon
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- small bunch coriander , roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp unsweetened desiccated coconut
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan or wok, sizzle the cumin and mustard seeds for 1 min, then add the chilli, ginger and turmeric.
Fry until aromatic, then add the greens, a pinch of salt, a splash of water and the peas.
- Cover the pan and cook for 4-5 mins until the greens have wilted. Add the lemon juice, ground coriander, half the fresh coriander and half the desiccated coconut, then toss everything together. Pile into a serving dish and scatter with the rest of the coconut and coriander.