Shockwave Therapy in Adelaide at Pro Physio SA
Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy (ECSWT) applies a high-intensity sound wave that leads to a cascade of beneficial effects such as neovascularisation ingrowth, reversal of chronic inflammation, stimulation of collagen and dissolution of calcium build-up.
What conditions are suitable for Shockwave Therapy?
ECSWT is most beneficial for chronic and calcific tendinopathies such as any of the following:
- Plantarfasciitis (70% of cases studied reported a significant, on-going reduction in symptoms; Norris, Eickmeier and Werber, 2005)
- Tennis / Golfer’s Elbow (60% of cases studied reported complete resolution of symptoms and 30% a significant, on-going reduction in symptoms; Wang and Chen, 2002)
- Patella Tendinopathy / Hamstring and Achilles Insertional Enthesiitis
- Rotator Cuff Tendinopathies and Calcific Tendinitis (complete resolution of calcification has been detected in over 85% of cases, Cacchio et al, 2006)
The Benefit of Shockwave Therapy with a Physiotherapist…
We believe that the benefit of having Shockwave Therapy performed by a trained physiotherapist is that we can administer an appropriate exercise regime as well as other treatment parameters that are still considered paramount for the treatment of all tendinopathies. In this way, the ECSWT forms an adjunct to a comprehensive treatment plan to ensure the best outcomes for our patients. Benefits can include:
- Pain relief through dispersion of pain mediator “Substance P”
- Reversal of chronic inflammation
- Stimulation of collagen production
- Dissolution of calcified fibroblasts
- New blood vessel formation
- Release of trigger points
What Costs are Involved?
Pro Physio SA charge a small fee in addition to our consultation fees for the application of Shockwave Therapy. This may vary between our clinics and we recommend discussing the costs of treatment at the time of booking your appointment.
You can arrange an appointment to discuss the benefits of Shockwave Therapy with one of our Physiotherapists by clicking here.